Saturday, October 19, 2013

Farm update

Things are looking pretty good, getting very close to start harvesting Lettuce and Arugura. I think I will shart harvesting the older bigger leaves and leave the plant to produce more before I replace i with a brand new seedling.
Here's a 14day time-lapse video and few pics.

video















Thursday, October 17, 2013

Update, time-lapse video

Just a quick update, things got a little out of control when I decided to replace the 2 part nutrient I was using with what I thought to be a 1 part nutrient, FloraGro. Big mistake, several plants started to turn yellow and further investigation was pointing to lack of nitrogen.
Then found the FloraGro is a 3 part nutrient which required two other parts, FloraMicro and FloraBloom to provide correct nutrients N-P-K as well as micro nutrients like Calcium, Magnesium, Iron and several others.
I think the issue was reverted in time and plants seems to be moving on from this scary event, here's a 10 day time lapse, one photo/day.


video

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Follow up on new system

Here's a follow up on my system. Most plants are doing pretty well, specially arugula. Roots on these reach over 8in and are growing fast. Lettuce now started to take of as well. I think things will move exponentially from now on. I have several seedlings waiting in line, arugula, lettuce and spinach. I also purchased new seeds for these from a different source to see if will make any improvement to next cycle.
I now lowered the lights to 21in over the plants, 100% power.

Here are few pics:

Added a small fan to circulate air in the system



Added this modified water cooler with a temperature controller to cool the nutrient solution. I was getting over 75F and now it stays under 72F.

Here's the reservoir showing the large black pipe for the system and the smaller vinyl tubing which circulates through the cooler


video




Arugula

Lettuce

Spinach

Watercress